Displaying posts tagged events
Conservancy News Round-up
byon April 17, 2019
Check out these videos, blog posts from member projects, code releases and upcoming events.
- Bradley and Karen during their keynote at FOSDEM, "Can Anyone Live in Full Software Freedom Today? Confessions of Activists Who Try But Fail to Avoid Proprietary Software"
- Microblocks in use (it's in Catalan, but the smiling faces are understandable in any language!)
- Deb keynoted Gitmerge, "The Future of Free Software"
- Godot engine in use! These are from published games and games in development. Check out the Desktop / Console showreel and the Mobile Showreel.
- Bradley gave a talk at SCaLE, "If Open Source Isn't Sustainable, Maybe Software Freedom Is?" that got written up on LWN.
- The State of Godot address by Juan Linietsy
Our Member Projects Have Been Busy
- Outreachy getting ready for another round of interns! You can see the projects that are participating in this summer's program here.
- Lots of Reproducible Builds work in March
- Godot is receiving a MOSS Grant
- Inkscape's SCALE17x Hackfest 2019 launched plans for 1.0 release and more
- Recent Clojurists Together work funded through Conservancy
Some recent code releases:
What's coming up?
Catch up with staff:
- Deb speaks about governance at Open Source 101 on Thursday
- Swing by Bellingham to say hi to Bradley at our Linuxfest Northwest booth later this month
- Deb speaks about diversity at Red Hat Summit in May
Many of our projects have events coming up:
- Selenium Conf in Tokyo
- Ninth Annual RacketCon, plus Bradley will be there.
- Samba XP -- Karen is keynoting!
- One week blocks workshop for public school teachers, "Physical Computing with the BBC micro:bit"
- Teaching Open Source planning a summer POSSE meeting
Bonus news! GPLv3 code made the famous black hole picture possible. Congrats to Doctor Katie Bouman and her team!
Conservancy at LibrePlanet this Weekend
byon March 20, 2019
This weekend, the Free Software Foundation hosts its 11th annual LibrePlanet conference on March 23-24. The event takes place at the Stata Center at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Our Director of Community Operations Deb Nicholson speaks on Sunday at 2:30 PM about Free Software/Utopia, or how the free software movement could be more successful by mirroring the kind of improved and empowering world we hope to build with software freedom. She will also be helping to run the Annual Members Meeting on Sunday during lunch.
LibrePlanet is free for FSF members. The weekend often includes several co-located free and open to the public events. You can find more information on the FSF's site.
Bradley in Lisbon, then Bristol Next Week
byon October 26, 2018
Our Distinguished Technologist Bradley Kuhn will be in Europe to speak at OpenWrt Summit in Lisbon and keynoting freenode #live in Bristol next week. Bradley always enjoys connecting with Conservancy supporters when he is on the road at free software events.
The OpenWrt Summit will be most valuable for OpenWrt users and anyone who is interested in free and open source wireless networking, or embedded Linux. Bradley speaks right after lunch on October 29th about "GPL Compliance For Advancement of OpenWRT." The conference takes place in the Communications Museum in Lisbon, Portugal on Monday and Tuesday, October 29th and 30th, 2018.
freenode #live is a community-focused live event designed to build and strengthen relationships between free and open source software developers and users. The conference takes place at We The Curious in Bristol, UK on Saturday and Sunday, November 3rd and 4th, 2018. Bradley is one of four keynotes for the second iteration of this conference.
Karen Sandler Speaks at British Computer Society in London Tomorrow
byon October 24, 2018
Our Executive Director, Karen Sandler, will be speaking at BCS as a part of their Open Source Specialist Group event, tomorrow October 25, 2018, Mentoring & Advocacy in Open Source + AGM. Karen will kick off the evening by talking about promoting software freedom effectively, while also taking steps to bring in newcomers to the field.
The event will be held at BCS's London Offices at 5 Southampton St, London WC2E 7HA from 6-8pm. If you're based around London, you can attend the event which is open to all at no charge. You can register here. There is also information about participating in the event remotely.
Earlier in the day, Karen will be participating in the Sustain Summit 2018, which still has tickets for sale. Come say hi at either event!